Mar 13th, 2014
March is National Nutrition Month! Try these 5 SIMPLE tips to improve your nutrition!
1. Drink more water! Not only will water help fill you up at mealtime, but it is great for your entire body, especially your skin! There are NO calories in water, so flavor it freely with lemon, lime or orange slices and drink away! See if you can drink at least half your weight in ounces. For example, if you weigh 150 pounds, try to drink 75 ounces of water each day.
2. Eat breakfast! Research shows that people who eat breakfast tend to maintain a healthier weight than those that do not. Try these quick and easy options:
• Oatmeal – Put 1/2 cup of Quaker Oats (quick or old fashioned) in a bowl and add enough water to cover the oats. Pop it in the microwave for 2 minutes and 30 seconds. Add a few almonds, Craisons or blueberries on top for flavor.
• Veggie Scramble – Scramble 2 egg whites and one whole egg in a bowl. Microwave a handful of frozen vegetables of your choice in a small Ziplock baggie. Throw it all in a frying pan coated with non-stick cooking spray and scramble. Pop a slice of whole grain bread in the toaster and enjoy!
• Yogurt Trail Mix – Peel off the lid of your favorite brand of low fat vanilla yogurt, and scoop it into a larger bowl. Add a handful of hearty trail mix and stir!
• PB & J – Throw a double fiber English Muffin or Bagel Thin in the toaster. Add one tablespoon of natural peanut butter to each slice. Add a teaspoon of low sugar jam to each slice and enjoy!
• Smoothie – Throw 8 ounces of almond milk, 3-4 ice cubes, 1 cup of frozen mixed berries, a half of banana, and a tablespoon of ground flaxseed in the blender. Drink up!
3. Snack smart! Choose healthy snacks that are filled with vitamins, minerals and good fats and protein. Prepare them ahead of time so you have them when you need them.
• Baby carrots and your favorite hummus
• Celery and peanut butter
• Apple slices and almond butter
• Rolled up Boar’s Head turkey slices with a honey mustard as a dip
• Low fat string cheese
• Pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds
4. Limit the alcohol! Try ditching the alcoholic beverages for a few weeks. Beer, wine and liquor are just other ways to let the calories creep in. Instead, try drinking sparkling water or club soda with lime or lemon. Challenge yourself to rely on your wit and conversation to keep the night interesting.
5. Go out to get dessert! Avoid stocking your house with bags of treats and boxes of desserts. If you are craving something, get up and go get it. Buy yourself a bar of Dove dark chocolate at the market, take a trip to the yogurt bar or go get one slice of cake from the bakery aisle of your favorite grocery store. If you are too lazy to go out and get it when you want it, you probably don’t need it.